We have developed an open dictionary of hydrological terms, as part of a joint project between Lomonosov Moscow State University (Faculty of Geography) and the Russian Academy of Sciences (Water Problems Institute), aimed at providing concise descriptions of different hydrological terms in English.

Writing scientific articles in English can be challenging, especially when it comes to translating scientific terms, such as types of different phenomena from different classifications and categorizations. There is a great deal of “Russicism” in scientific English papers, demonstrating the complexity of the problem. Another issue is the misuse of the term, i.e. the lack of literacy in its constructional application.

Our dictionary is intended for hydrologists who need help interpreting and using English-language terms.

PhD hydrologists with experience writing in English review each entry:

  • Dr. Anatoly Tsyplenkov, Lomonosov Moscow State University
  • DScn. Sergey Chalov, Lomonosov Moscow State University
  • Dr. Vsevolod Moreydo, Water Problems Institute RAS

The Add words tab allows you to participate in the project by adding new words. Every entry is reviewed by mentors. If you are interested in becoming a mentor for your language, please send an email to admin[at]hydrowiki.org!